What’s the true meaning of Christmas? The question has been asked in many ways for many years. We certainly understand that Christmas is about more than unwrapping presents, decorating trees, hanging lights, or eating large meals. We hear the voices of children expressing that Christmas is something more. We sense there is something deeper to this special holiday.
Christmas is about closeness. It’s a time when families, friends, and loved ones — even those we tend to hold at a distance much of the year — come close together to celebrate God coming close to humans in the form of Baby Jesus. It’s a time to connect with people in special ways, and to discover a feeling of belonging. We hope you’ll join us at a “True Meaning of Christmas” event near you as we celebrate the love and joy of togetherness this glorious season.
The United Methodist Church is hitting the road this December to provide a sense of closeness. Our True Meaning of Christmas Tour is coming to 21 cities across 16 states over the course of 23 days. At each stop, we’re offering the chance for people to come close together and unwrap the true meaning of Christmas.
We’re looking forward to sharing smiles and conversations with a lot of people. We hope to share a lot of cups of hot cocoa. And we plan on drawing people together by doing good for one another.
We’d love for you to be a part of it! As we come to a city near you, join us for some hot cocoa. We’ll also be accepting donations for local groups aiming to help others have a good Christmas.
The full tour schedule is below. Visit our map for specific location details. Help us #UnwrapChristmas!
- Nov. 25: Fairview Heights, IL We’ll be at St. Clair Square!
- Nov. 26: Columbus, OH At the pavilion at North Market
- Nov. 28: Camp Hill, PA At the Capital City Mall
- Nov. 29: Baltimore, MD On the promenade near the ice rink at Inner Harbor
- Dec. 2: Roswell, GA At Heart of Roswell Park
- Dec. 4: Columbus, MS At Leadership Plaza in downtown Columbus
- Dec. 6: Bossier City, LA At the Louisiana Boardwalk Outlets
- Dec. 10: Phoenix, AZ At Kierland Commons
- Dec. 12: Los Angeles, CA At Pershing Square Holiday Ice Rink
- Dec. 14: West Valley City, UT At Rancho Market, 2470 S Redwood Rd
- Dec. 17: Kansas City, MO At Frank A. Theis Park across from the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
In addition to tour stops where the truck will be on-hand, United Methodist congregations in additional locations across the U.S. will host hot cocoa fellowship events at their churches.